Monday, August 29, 2011

Am I So Arrogant

We all want to believe we are good.  If we have not done anything too disasterous or criminal it is quite easy to have that mindset.  We figure that as long as we put in a hard, honest days work, done our chores, have not abused our spouse or children, went to the obligatory church service, put money in the offering plate, took the new neighbor a welcome gift, attended bible study or worked at the homeless shelter, we are good.  We have earned our salvation.  We may have even made a name for ourselves or given a lasting legacy that others will write about, read about, or reminisce about.

But deep down we are all sinners.  At our very core we want what we want, when we want it, and how we want it.  We see our needs, wants, and desires as being more important than the next persons.  We want a pat on our back when we do something well, and then we want to brag about it to others.  I mean, it's only human.  We begin our lives egocentric and we will end our lives the same way.

The is only one who is good.  There is only one who is deserving.  There is only one who is perfect.  That is God.  He created us and the world around us.  It is His master plan, His design.  If anyone deserves recognition and praise it is Him. 

God gave us the greatest gift of all:  His Son.  Through Jesus we receive Salvation.  And guess what, it is a free gift.  There is nothing we can do or say to make us more deserving than the next person. 

He has given us grace.  Merriam Webster defines grace as:  a virtue coming from God, unmerited divine assistance freely given to humans for their regeneration or santification.  An act or instance of kindness, courtesy, or clemincy.  A reprieve.  Do you see these words?  Freely given. Instance of kindness, unmerited divine assistance.  There is nothing we can do to gain it.  It cannot be worked for. 

The punishment meant for us, death, was taken away.  It was put on Jesus, the final sacrifice.  He freely, willingly, and obediently took it.  Romans 5:8 tells us:  God demonstrated his love for us in this:  That while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.  2 Corinithians 5:21 tells us:  God created him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God. 

Our Pastor, Joe Coffey, talked about idols for the last two weeks.  These are not the wooden, stone, or metal images we think of.  These are the "things" in our life that we put before God.  The things we use to define ourselves.  The things we think we cannot live without were they to die or disappear.  Our jobs, talents, sports, families, friends, homes, hobbies, money.  They help us to forget what is truly important, who made us, who we belong to, who we get our talents and abilities from.  We may feel that because we work so hard, or practice so much, that our money, talents, and abilities are ours.  But if we were to die tomorrow, what good would all these things do for us.  Nothing.

I know that when something bad happens in my life I get angry at God and say "What did I do to deserve this?", "Why me?", "I prayed for this to happen and you have not made it happen", or the classic "It's just not fair."  Talk about needing a reality check.  What have I done solely for God?  Sure I volunteer, but how often do I tell someone how good it makes me "feel" when I serve.  I love to praise and worship through song, but how often do I say how good it makes me feel or how it makes me feel closer to God.  How many times do I or anyone else give or do something because of how it makes me feel?   It would appear that although I do it because I am called to as a Christian, I am doing it for what I gain.  And yet if GRACE is freely given, then I cannot gain it.

Feeling good about how you act or what you do is not a bad thing, I am not saying that.  But we need to make sure what our motives are.  We need to have a humble heart when we praise or worship or give or serve.  We cannot do it alone.  We need God's help.  We need to pray and ask.  We can't say by our actions, because I have done this God I expect you to do this.  How arrogant is that; giving God an ultimatum.  I know the next time I do or want to say something, I'm gonna do a reality check.

No comments:

Post a Comment