Wednesday, September 21, 2011

What Drives You

It's been an interesting week, and it's only just started.  So many things have come across my computer, my syllabus for school, on the radio, through my bible study, and my personal reading time.  It gets very tough in day to day life to prioritize what is truly important with what we really want to do or accomplish. 

On my Facebook page I subscribe to several different Christian sites.  I figure, while I am looking at everyone elses news and status updates, it is good to have a reminder of what God wants me to know.  So I will read a particular Bible verse, maybe make a comment and of couse hit the perverbial "like" button.  I would like to say I always read and reflect on what comes on to my news feed, but many times I only take a glimpse at the words, decide if I have read them or heard them before, but only comment and remember the ones I really like.  You know which ones I am talking about.  Those verses that are encouraging, not necessarily convicting.  Those that comfort us, not make us feel uncomfortable or would cause us to do work.  It is the same with the email I get everyday from Max Lucado with a scripture verse and then his words of wisdom about what God is trying to relay through it.  I really enjoy those because I often feel as if Max has a direct line of communication with God and understands what needs to be said. 

But don't we all have the ability to strengthen our line of communication with God?  Don't most people own at least one Bible or have a computer through which they can "google" BIBLE during the day and read a passage?  We can all pray, you know we can.  Many seem to reach out to God in those times of desparation or anger looking for answers, and then get upset or disillusioned when the answer doesn't come on their timeline or result in the way they envisioned.  If we have not kept the line of commuication open on a daily basis, spent time in The Word, and reflected on what God wants for us and says to us, we cannot hope to hear His voice in times of trouble.  A burning bush does not always ignite in our flowerbeds or backyards. 

Let's move on to my school syllabus.  Mind you, I have no college theology classes or Bible study classes during this session.  I have a special education course and American Literature class.  I am gonna focus on the American Lit. class here.  We have looked at, read, and picked apart Native American prose and poetry, the early explorers and settlers, and now this week Franklin, Adams, Paine, and Jefferson.

 Native American literature was interesting.  Much of their history, myths, and poetry focus on what Mother Earth and nature have given them, the importance of familial loyalty, and the power of the Great Spirit.  Their lives were simple, they worked hard, but always remembered what was important.  The early explorers and settlers talked about their voyages, claiming land for England and Spain, the hardships of frontier life, experience with the Native Americans, and their faith in Christ.  But they used this faith in Christ to justify the brutality they showed to the Native people when they tried to take their land, civilize them, and aggressively force Christianity on them.  They called them "savages" because their ways were so primitive and their language so different. 

Now I am reading the works of Franklin, Paine, Adams, and Jefferson;  not necessarily in that order.  Also not on my top ten list to reread, but gives some great insight into the early life of our country.  Although these men called themselves Christians, they make no mention of Christ in their writing.  See, they were influenced by the Enlightenment.  Rene Descartes famous line:  "I think, therefore I am" influenced and drove the Naturalist's movement.  Science to explain away the what, why, and how of everything.  To explain away the evidence of a divine Creator.  That to more educated you are, the more intelligent, the more reason you have, so the ultimate in answers you will receive or research upon. 

My question is:  Does everything in life have to have a definative answer?  Do we always need scientific proof of what and why and how something came to be?  For me, these answers only drive my faith in God deeper and stronger.  It causes awe and amazement at the wonder of how he created everything from nothing.  Want to deepen your faith in God?  Read any of Lee Strobel's books entitled:  The Case for a Creator, The Case for Christ, The Case for Faith.  Here is a man who way a proclaimed atheist, a renown journalist, who through his research and study came to faith in God and Christ by what he found.  The same holds true for "Mere Christianity" by C.S. Lewis.  Talk about books that will put you in awe and guide your focus to Him. 

In my Bible study this week we are reading from the first and second chapter of Ezekial.  We are working through a study done by Anne Graham Lotz.  She has a great way of breaking down scripture passages one verse at a time.  You look at the facts, decipher the lesson, what is God saying directly to you, and how you will apply it to your life.  Prior to this study I would have read these first two chapters, been quite confused by all the imagery and moved on to when Ezekial started his ministry.  But these verses cause you to look at the awesomeness of God and the extent He will go to in order to reach our hearts and minds.  He will turn your life upside down if need be to get your attention.  He took the greatest extemes to capture our hearts through The Cross, and many times the trials which we experience are the wake-up call to slow down and turn our eyes back to Him. 

One of the ways I have talked about in other blogs that God uses to speak to me is through music.  He knows he has my undivided attention.  This morning I was listening to the inspiration behind the evangelical voice and lyrics of the late Rich Mullins.  Talk about a man whose focus was on God.  His is so much more than the singer of "Awesome God".  He speaks to the simplicity of life, and where your focus should be:  On God.  One song, "My One Thing" talks about how we always say we need one thing, but that eventually lead to one more thing.  He petitions God to save him from this need, because one day when the world passes away, and we can't take it with us, all we truly have is God.  I really like this line "Please take them away and purify my heart, I don't want to lose the eternal for The things that are passing".   That pretty much sums it all up right there.  If we are truly focused on God, this should be the cry of our heart. 

So the next time you ponder the events of your day or thoughts that cross your mind ask yourself this question:  What drives me?  To answer it honestly, make a list of what is important in your life.  Don't think to hard, just start writing, and then look at the order in which you listed everything.  Or think about what crosses your mind ever time you daydream.   The answers might surprise you.

No comments:

Post a Comment